Since our founding in the spring of 2013, we have worked to further musky fishing in several ways.
- We coordinate our members to volunteered with DNR fish surveys on bodies of water including: Lake Wausau, Mosinee Flowage, Big Eau Pleine Flowage, Stevens Point Flowage, and Petenwell Flowage. This amounts to hundreds of volunteer hours, and in fact the program is so popular we have more volunteers than the DNR needs!
- We have received conservation grants totaling $7000+ to date. These funds have been used to stock muskies, purchase PIT tag equipment and sponsor youth events.
- We have over 12 anglers equipped with PIT tag readers. This enables them to record data on tagged muskies in our area, providing important information on the health of our local fishery to the DNR. Currently one of our anglers is also permitted to implant PIT tags.
- We have contributed information on nearly 2,000 musky catches in Central Wisconsin to date. This information has allowed the DNR to establish a robust data set to track size distribution, and catch per effort. Several other local organizations have joined in this effort.
- As of 2019, we have stocked 380 muskies in Central Wisconsin. We have partnered with Wausau Musky League in this effort.
- See our blog post for more detailed information on PIT tagging and data gathering efforts on the Wisconsin River.